You're welcome.

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by Boulja Boy Tell 'Em, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Darktooth

Darktooth I was #1 VIP

Then you're wrong.

2. urisk2

urisk2 ~Rawr~ I'm a polar bear VIP

I believe people should be able to voice their opinions (see; this thread).

It saddens me (but doesn't surprise me) that this thread devolved into petty insults, off topic arguments, and a litany of rhetorical fallacies. It's threads like this that make the more level headed not want to bring up problem just because they don't want to deal with it so they would rather just leave.

You can disagree with me but I have examples and proof throughout this post, other threads, and people who left for this reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. that is pretty legit...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. One thing that I think might be helpful is a clear system of punishment for staff listed here on the forums. Something like: After X amount of reported RDMs you're demoted or after X amount of failed moderation (such as not muting/gagging abusive players) you're demoted. Not everything needs to result in demotion, obviously, but you get the point.

Something like that I think could help players report staff and also encourage staff to moderate better, particularly when it comes to harassment, because that is a definite problem. As it stands now there is just no point in reporting staff on the forums because it's a lot of hassle for the player and with no clear system in place, it usually only results in a one round slay or a stern "talking to."

5. BigBoyMansion

BigBoyMansion Banned

You were talking about staff members, not kids in real life. Staff members can be as mature as they want in real life. They can act like 4 year old kids it's their choice.

That's the thing about the Internet. You have a whole different life on it. You wouldn't even know if a Dog was typing this right now.

6. Han

Han       VIP

Just read this whole forum.

I agree with you on a few points. There is some blatant racism and just really.....Rude things. I've seen people be racist and mods do nothing. I'd love it if we cracked down on this. Cursing? Fine with me. Being racist / an overall jerk / insulting religion, sexuality, etc, is a lot worse.

Also, there is an ex-staff who recently got demoted ( You guys probably know who :p ) but he was just nonchalant about it. He said "I'll apply in a few weeks and get it back, no problem." and I'm guessing he probably will. If it does end up being true, this sort of thing needs to stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Holy shit.... Can we just play TTT? This server is great. but it has its flaws "Nothing is perfect. Life is messy. Relationships are complex. Outcomes are uncertain. People are irrational" -Random internet guy. I have invested 356 hours into this server... And I will be damned if I ever decide to leave. I will agree that staff members do pick favorites, But then again, Doesn't everyone? I have a favorite everything, and if I say Pizza is better then cookies, will you bitch slap me for picking favorites? No. Now please, Can we stop this drama show and get back to playing the game this server is suppose to be about?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sinz

Sinz crumble VIP Silver

Here on SeriousTTT we have a hierarchy. The Owner, Highwon, appoints two Lead Admins, those Lead Admins pick 5 administrators each, those administrators train and promote 4 moderators each. In this case, the Administrator who appointed the moderator has full jurisdiction over him/her, if a moderator were to make a mistake or do something incorrectly the administrator decides what the punishment may be and is also held accountable along with the moderator. This differs from admin to admin and is influenced based on the severity of the incident. Of course, this type of discretion has boundaries, administrators are not allowed to discriminate against their moderators, however they can set expectations and punishments if those expectations are broken or done inappropriately. We do not have set punishments for staff members because these issues can be resolved effortlessly. Let's say a staff member falsely slays someone, we find why that happened and how it happened, on most occasions it's because they did not thoroughly look through the logs or weren't taught something correctly. An example of this can be seen here where my former moderator @Cherry Slurpee and @Darktooth's former moderator @JonD are reported for slaying PwnerOfThePeanut when he killed a player who prop damaged him. In this report we as admins are at fault for not teaching our moderators about prop damage, we may have forgot or it never came up enough for it to be mentioned. This is something no one involved needed to be demoted for, we (admins) have learned to always tell our moderators about prop damage in the future and those moderators now know of situations like those. The reporter brought this to our attention, we "talked to" our mods and everyone ended up happy. Mistakes happen, not everything needs a hefty demotion, you talk to people, you get things done. If a "stern talk" doesn't work, action is taken. I going to use one of @The Seventh's former moderators as an example. This moderator in particular had unprofessional tendencies and was "talked to" and told to stop, yet he continued. A few days passed and he got the boot. We as a staff take note of the community's concerns and reflect on them, we don't just say "Oh, yeah, he'll be talked to." we actually talk to our staff members. If we were to demote every moderator, admin and lead admin who made a single mistake (or two) we would have no staff team. People learn from their mistakes and if they don't, they're dealt with.
    Since many of you seem to agree with this little excerpt of the original post, I'll shed some light on it. Personally, as an admin I no longer pick up ex-staff members because I enjoy training new players as trial moderators myself and feel that an ex-staff member and I would not have the same bond, considering their knowledge of being a staff member is intact. But when you do see ex-staff members becoming staff members once again, that is because they are often more reliable than the current bunch of applicants, training is hardly needed, experience is already there, all they have to do is jump on a server and bam, they're staffing. I personally don't have a problem with it if that ex-staff is capable. While I do agree other players should be given a chance, sometimes you have to realize there are not viable applicants. One the other hand, we still have pending applications from former mods and admins that are yet to be approved, we do not recklessly appoint someone who is not qualified, regardless of their previous status. Nonetheless if you wish to become a staff member, saying things like this in-game, won't help you.

[​IMG]

I also don't understand why you mention small children, our staff team ranges from 13 to 20+. Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Darktooth

Darktooth I was #1 VIP

A lot of the posts in this thread are basically "I know how to do your job better than you." But a lot of the people posting think that because of one thing some staff members aren't strong in, they are automatically bad staff and should be replaced.

You really should take a step back and understand what happens behind the scenes. We aren't just monkeys who ban people; we have a lot to manage (admins especially.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub

Communion (1989) Putlockers HD Stream Eng Sub i'm thinking i'm thinking VIP

Just a heads up guy
    Since you are new to the servers
    And I dont think the OP is getting this simple part either

If someone is saying something that offends you (whether in voice or chat) just type @ and tell an online staff member that what they are saying is offending you
    9/10 times they will be warned/gagged
    1/10 times staff member is busy

And if that Ex-Staff you are talking about is the one I think you are talking about then it wouldn't be a bad thing if he became a staff again in a few weeks
    If a staff member is breaking rules they should be demoted
    But if we are talking about THOU WHO SHALT NOT BE NAMED then that was just the result of a deal with his admin and bad habits (and not necessarily a regularly demotable/punishable thing)
    I agree that mods should be punished as regular players are (aside from banning as the server needs staff and that is useless) and it is that exact same agreement that means that staff member should have the right to get his position back (as there is no punishable offence for what he did - regularly)

But yeah
    Next time you witness someone using racist/homophobic remarks (or anything else that actually bothers you) just type:
    @(name of player offending you) is saying (remark that offended you) and it offends me - could you tell him to stop please?

11. This thread only repeats unfortunate events. Why can't we agree to disagree?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

No I wasn't. I was talking about kids in real life. I said it when I first said my statement.

Now, stop fighting over this. I stated my fact, and you did the same.

And on the internet you can act more mature because you can lie. But you can't be mature. (You can be mature but you can't if you lie.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  13. Sinz

Sinz crumble VIP Silver

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. Jake

Jake Brother of megaboy (RIP) VIP

GUYS. Let's all drink a beer, smoke a bowl, and chill. Sound fun? Swag.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

Makes 0 sense. Plus that post was from yesterday.

So I would need to be on a roll today not yesterday.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  17. TruMan

TruMan VIP

Clear cut rules and results for moderators would be nice. Admins and other moderators doing a little extra work (because someone got demoted) instead of "just having a talk" with moderators in question would also be nice.

I, and at least two other people, had a run in with an abusive mod today, over several topics. Reports were made. End result? A talk.

I understand that servers will be understaffed, but the job will still be doable. There needs to be some sort of system that is open for everyone to see that deals with moderator punishment. Otherwise, everyone along the chain of command should be held accountable for producing a shitty community. Not saying that's where it is now../ not saying it's not either, but it's a very real possibility.

18. Sinz

Sinz crumble VIP Silver

• Like Like x 1
  19. TruMan

TruMan VIP

20. Linkthedinosaur

Linkthedinosaur Self Proclaimed Master of the No Scope VIP

The reasons that Moderators are given the "talk" after a mistakes frankly because of one reason. The Admin believes the Moderator can do better, and Admin believes that he/she will strive to do better. If improvement does not occur than demotions do happen. Many Moderators and Admins alike have been demoted for not living up to expectations after having a "talk." There have also been Staff Members who were demoted directly after a "talk," because improvement was not expected, or the time taken to improve was far greater than the rewards of keeping them as part of the staff. So setting a certain bases for demotion would not work at all. Every player is different and their set of qualities and personalities is aswell. There is a reason that this server is the number 1 TTT server. We're doing something right. We don't treat everyone equal. That would be outright stupid. We instead treat everyone fairly and do what we think is best for the server overall!

• Agree Agree x 1