Accepted TOS / Information

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Yellow, Dec 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

It's been a thing for at least since when I got mod, you can see IPs per account - not really needed for mods since they can't forum ban aside from warns

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. then why not decrease the chance of this happening?

them doxxing me is out of my control because they are allowed access to my IP.

I would feel safer if only you and lordy and possibly normal admins had access to it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. the internet is filled with assholes and the less likely an asshole/toxic ex mod could dox me the better

• Like Like x 1
  4. littlememe

littlememe nothinglastsforever VIP Bronze

I'm sure no mod wants to do that

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. you might not.

heres an example.

lets say random player becomes mod. stays mod for awhile. they resign and become toxic and are an asshole or have some sort of problem with a different player. if they saved there IPs before resigning then they could dox someone.

I dont like to think the worst of people but this is a thing that could happen

6. dazza

dazza Banned VIP Bronze

lets be clear it is still illegal and i dont think any mod wants to risk having legal action taken against them for something so petty, we have had limit access to ips for literally ever via forums only and with no issues to mirror what many have already said, its the internet you probably visit sites that sell your ip to all sort of shady organisations, i really wouldnt be worried about a moderator on a garrys mod gaming forum

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Yellow

Yellow VIP

Ok so if someone else steals a 100$ bill from an old grandma we can do it too? kk

I know sites have my IP, but I'm just a random user to them, on a forum you're a person

• Confusing Confusing x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

The second you say "video game" to the court is when they stop talking to you.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  9. So it’s not a risk? So I can become a mod and dox people but since it’s petty it’s ok and shouldn’t be taken into account at all just to make sure it never happens at all?

10. Coinston

Coinston "But what if Robots" - Chris Wedge VIP

@eks dee didn't give any tos when he, did a certain thing

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Panduh

Panduh I love ass VIP

Taking action online means you are at risk at any time. For example, using the browser, "Google". Google is always taking information from you, gathering data simply from everything you do. Does this not make you concerned? What about all those websites you go onto? They all take your information from you and they all have the possibility to use it for harm. Are you not concerned? What about games? You feel safe on games? You aren't. It is our job to make ourselves as safe as possible online.

Personally, I try to make my online fingerprint as clean as possible. So I understand the concern for wanting to keep ourselves safe. But it's impossible to make ourselves 100% foolproof. You just have to accept this fact and move on while trying to protect yourself as much as you can.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yellow

Yellow VIP

Yes like we've said multiple times, if we can decrease the risk of our information being doxxed why not do it, removing about 80% of the people who can see it(without a good reason) would certainly help

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Then why not take the precautions here and make it so only leads and admins have access to I
    IPs? Less of chance

it’s never going to be perfect but it’s a step in the right direction

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Panduh

Panduh I love ass VIP

I don't disagree with these. But at the same time, as a Moderator, we kinda are suppose to enforce the rules. I also will mention that most of the Mod's dont even use this and some didn't even know it was a thing.

As someone who took interest in ethical hacking, I know how easily a IP can be taken and used to really fuck someone's day over.

While I wouldn't mind the tool being revoked from the Moderator's possession, it's also without a doubt a valuable tool to help enforce the rules on the servers.

I would be neutral in this entire situation, but I trust the other staff to be reasonable and understand that any form of DDOS, DOS, and DOX is plainly petty and extremely pathetic. So I see no reason to take away this tool from us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Cash

what benefits does having access to IPs help moderators on the forums? They only have access on forums, not servers

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. I mean all I’m saying is make it so only leads and normal admins have access to the IPs. It’s a way to reduce any sort of toxic mod fucking with people if that happens

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Panduh

Panduh I love ass VIP

You are correct, as far as I see, we always request to see if a user is clean in game or not. So we can't really do much about that. I also said most mods don't use it anyways, mainly because we can't do much with it.

In terms of Forums Rules, we can enforce, "8. Multiple Accounts: You may not have multiple accounts for any reason. Using one to evade punishment is met harshly." lol

I say its extremely valuable because I have ran multiple Garry's Mod and Minecraft servers. So usually I'm the one with all the permissions, and I am able to use what I have to keep the servers clean and free of rule-breakers.

But as Moderator I can't do much with what I have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Indy226

Indy226 Banned VIP Silver

alters?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cash

At the most they would have to be like "hey admin this guy has the shared ip" when in reality they could just not have ip access and go "hey admin can you check this guy" similar to ingame

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  20. Frost

Frost Frosted Pun King VIP

lmao if someone really wants to get your IP Address they will, there's far many other ways to get it, than mods have the ability to.

Last I remember, I don't even remember having the ability to check IPs, admin+ are the only able ones.

But lmao do remember what rights you give up when browsing the internet, and sadly your IP address is first to go, lots of websites don't keep a clean security on them, so it's literally vulnerable. I'd suggest investing into a VPN anyway to keep your actual location off the grid as much as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.