Opalcraft: Community Minecraft Server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Opalium, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAA coolgamer VIP

I say fuck the direwolf server if we're opening a new server with a more stable modpack. The server is not THAT old so people really arent losing out on too much and leaving the survival players split between two servers meant for the same purpose is not worth the few cool things people had built there

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

Only if the vast majority of the current players agree to shut it down early then I will do so. I don't want to ruin people's work unless they agree to give up on it.
    And like I said, we won't have another survival server until this one shuts down, so there won't be splits.

3. Noob999

Noob999 The best Noob around. VIP

I would like to know if the new build server will be using the Grief Prevention plugin?
    I know I have being using the wrong name for it.

• Confusing Confusing x 1
  4. Opalium

Yes. Probably GP or some similar tool.

5. jshore

jshore VIP

tfw you don't like modded minecraft but want to play on a server with others

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Han

Han       VIP

I don't think it's a good idea to split the servers. The population count for the Direwolf server is nothing impressive, so splitting it into two servers is just going to divide up the already low playercount. While some new faces might show up because of pvp or a different modpack, I'm not confident it will be a drastic improvement. I appreciate you trying to cater to everyone, but by doing that, I think you'll end up damaging both servers.

I voted for modded but I would be willing to try out a factions server, even though modded pvp isn't a fun concept for me. I don't know how many other people feel this way, but the point for me is that I'd rather be doing what everyone else wants to do, even if it isn't my #1 choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Opalium

That's indeed one of the issues, and one we discussed in great length in Discord. However, I believe it's still worth a try.
    While survival/build servers are meant to be for long term playing and creation, Factions is a lot more flexible. If it doesn't work out well, we can always shut it down without much problem and focus only on the survival server.

8. CrownedWings

CrownedWings Quirkless but still kickin VIP

Gotta agree with han on this one, it’s splitting up people on the servers and splitting up time made for the servers. I don’t want the Minecraft servers to die out since we do have a pretty good playercount despite Minecraft being 9 years old. And splitting will cause some issues. Honestly I think a reset on survival with new mods and a better system with claims will benefit the players with everyone starting at day one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

I'm on board for a survival world reset with a new and improved modpack with trading centres, economy, etc. Personally not to much interested in factions or the Direwolf server at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Han

Han       VIP

Assuming people on this server would also be from the Direwolf server, this would mean they would have to start the FtB grind for a third time on a different server. You can see how that's going to be pretty disheartening to have to restart all over again, twice. I think saying it's not going to be much of a problem is underestimating how much time people sink into modded servers in the very beginning. I've actually stopped playing on Direwolf - and I know others have as well - because I don't want to burn myself out of modded minecraft like I've done in the past. I'm just chilling until a clear server is announced.

Anyway, if you do go through with all of that - good luck. I don't want either servers to fail, I just feel like a unified server is going to be much stronger with our current playercount.

11. Opalium

Factions is a game where you can lose everything at any given moment. Sinking time into your base in Factions is done while knowing you may be attacked and lose everything at any point. As such, players on Factions already know that they are always at risk of losing everything, so they are not going to sink as much time and effort into things they can't afford to lose. Therefore, a potential shut down of such a server is not as much of a pain as in survival servers, where people sink a lot of time into things they shouldn't lose.
    In addition, the Factions pack I'm hoping to curate is a lot less focused on complex building and creating of systems and such. It is more focused on base building, defenses and PVP gameplay. If you want to build things and progress in mods, Factions is not the place - the survival server is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Han

Han       VIP

They're still going to be spending time on the server, regardless. Grinding is grinding. They may be spending that time on different objectives ( machines vs taking over land ) but they're still spending time on something. Having a server shut down after you've established yourself as the biggest, baddest faction is not going to be any less disappointing than having a server shut down right after when you create some end-game machine in survival.

I get that factions is a pvp / takeover type of server, but people are still going to be spending time on it. There will probably be people working on progressing through mods anyway. The alternative - the Direwolf server - is not what anyone wants right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CrownedWings

Opal it’s not that we don’t want it, it’s more of, are we ready for it? Because again the playerbase is small so it comes to again dividing up the small playerbase, will there be value in having two different servers?

• Like Like x 1
  14. danstorm

danstorm Caaaaaaaarl, that kills people! Moderator VIP

Wait do I need Mojang account with paid minecraft to install FTB?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Opalium

Factions aside for a moment, we need to decide the fate of our current server first. I'll give this one some more time to make sure everyone had the chance to see it and vote.
    Poll: https://www.strawpoll.me/15972634
    Note that by shutting down I mean an immediate one - within a day or two of this poll being decided.

Yes. We don't support cracked/unauthorized copies of Minecraft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. danstorm

danstorm Caaaaaaaarl, that kills people! Moderator VIP

oof

17. Opalium

I'm going to finalize the survival mod pack tomorrow. If you haven't suggested your mod yet, now is the last chance: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SNN-xzu1OcGIYQiAka2sS_-0b5txeeuEs6s3Mfw19_Q/edit?usp=sharing
    In addition to that, @veri is working on a cool new launcher that will allow you to download and install our modpack automatically. It will even keep it up to date on its own and will download any updates automatically. Magic!

According to the polls so far, it seems the majority of players wish to start our new survival server ASAP. I am therefore going to prioritize this first - we'll deal with Factions later. I am going to wait until tomorrow for the last votes to come in, just so we can come to a final decision without leaving anyone behind. In the meantime, I'll work on assembling mod pack.

Lastly, this is more of a personal request:
    I launched Opalcraft as a passion project, something fun for me and everyone else to spend some time on. I wasn't really expecting it to work out so well, and never really planned anything in the long run. However, your very warm feedback and engagement has proven me otherwise.
    As you can imagine, server hosting is not free. I don't believe I will ever monetize this server - this is not my goal with this project. I do all this simply because I enjoy it and I want to let others enjoy my work too. Unfortunately, as humble as this mission is, there are still costs to pay. So far I have been paying the hosting costs of Opalcraft from my own pocket. I am fine with this; it was clear to me that this will be the price of diving into such a project. However, I believe that this is the time to request your help as well.

I am now accepting donations for this project. I have started a Patreon page where you can donate any amount you'd like. If you would like to support me and Opalcraft, I encourage you to do so. It will help me keep this project alive, as well as motivate me even more to work on all of this and continue to develop the server for you all.
    All of the donations I collect will be used to pay the operating costs of Opalcraft, of course.

You can find the page here: https://www.patreon.com/opalcraft
    Thank you very much! :love:

This is all I have for now. See you tomorrow!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

bring back the rust server :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. CrownedWings

Minecraft Ranks returning? :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1