Ghosting!

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by Fox, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Armour

Armour Ok. VIP

Should the ghosting rule be updated to allow punishing players who follow through on ghost information?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Fox

Fox VIP

Imo, a new rule should be added along these lines:

Distributing game altering information, as well as using that information to alter the game is ghosting, and you will be punished as such.

3. Kyogre

Kyogre Ayuda VIP Silver

Anna is right, and not much else needs to be said.

We'll get this edited soon enough.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. ;)

• Winner x 9
    • Useful x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  4. Jässa

Jässa Thick thighs save lives VIP

Just as a clarification, can you also guys add in rules for nonKoS ghosting?

For example radar buying and where T is etc.

@Kyogre

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Ghoster: AFKs at spawn, can kill on Overtime

Rule: Cannot act on what ghosters tell you

Me: Fuck

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. RhazhBash

RhazhBash Professional Button Presser VIP

One thing to note is that if someone is told who a traitor is out of game they may not act upon it, but they can't forget what they were told. Even if they don't automatically kill the player they know is a traitor, what stops them from stalking them until they do something traitorous or being extra careful to stay away from them? Most of this isn't even intentional, it's just how people play with this information. This is why I advocate suicide for anyone who gets illegal information regardless of the circumstances. The rules should mention that it's safer to suicide than to stay alive with the information and risk following it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Well Is player B required to report player A? player B is there to have fun not deal with reports and all that. I'm saying if player B just acted like he didn't have that information, can player B still be punished? Or what about if Player B announces to everyone alive player A messaged them and said player C is a T.

8. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

Who's mans is this

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. GunAndBomb

GunAndBomb Explosive VIP

I don't think I agree with the notion the person who was ghosted information should be banned for acting on that information. Think of it this way, if I false kos someone as an innocent and you follow that kos then you are not slain since your actions were a result of my rule breaking, therefore I am slain. The ghosting scenario is similar. If I ghost to Bob that a player is a traitor and he follows that kos why should he be punished as harshly as I am? I am the problem, not him and once I am banned the problem is eliminated. Bob should simply be slain for killing on suspicion. If I'm Bob and I am ghosted to and I act on the ghost why would I tell the staff I was ghosted to? What is the incentive? I know I will be banned for a month if I do so logically I would just keep quiet and the real problem would go unpunished. I think we need to encourage players to report ghosting. Banning them for a month is going to prevent them from reporting it.

TL;DR Get rid of the real problem. Killing 1 traitor as a result of ghosting isn't going to drastically ruin the game. (it happens all the time as a result of common rdm) I would prefer that ghosters get banned.

It's not like Bob can just magically forget the information he was ghosted. If he acts upon it, he should be slain, not banned.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Armour

Armour Ok. VIP

This makes the most sense to me, but ultimately I just follow the rules to the best of my ability.

• Like Like x 1
  11. STONEY

STONEY I AM FIRE, I AM DEATH. VIP

I'm curious as to what would happen if the alive player were to copy and paste the PM into public chat... o_O

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Dark of Dutch

Dark of Dutch The Dutchiest Dutch of all the Dutch VIP Bronze

I think A and B should be punished for ghosting.

Edit:
    Sorry should have given a bit more info.

If B knows that A is ghosting and reports him, that is good.
    Now if B contineus to kill C then B uses the ghosted information knowing, what A did is against the rules. If B kills C purely on A's information then B should be punished for ghosting.

The best thing B can do, is keep an eye on C (not following/stalking) and give C a fair shot of winning the round for his team.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Oxydeous

Oxydeous VIP

I might be wrong on this, but if you act off of ghosted info, I assume that would fall under the rdm/metagame category. Metagaming is generally breaking the game mode, like chilling with T's in the T room. It would fall under rdm if they hadn't done anything traitorous up to that point. Ghosting is a more serious way of metagaming as it shifts the round completely and can significantly change the outcome. By breaking the main facet of the game, not knowing who's who, you're metagaming.

14. Oxydeous

Oxydeous VIP

Anyone can type up something in chat to make it seem like somebody said something they didn't. I know this as I've lost close to 4 t rounds that way, due to somebody pretending I said something in the chat by a fake paste.

15. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

I'll give my opinion on this:

Player A, the Ghoster, should obviously be banned for ghosting. No questions here.
    As for Player B, the safest thing to do in this case is kill yourself to remove yourself from the round and minimize the effect of the ghosting attempt. This is the fairest thing to do and will keep you safe from any punishment. If, however, they continue to play, even if they aren't actively hunting the person they were informed about, they now have an unfair advantage that others do not have. They know Player C is most likely a T and as such their interaction with that player during the round will be different. They could, for instance, target Player C and follow him around, making it harder for Player B to do his job as a Traitor as they are constantly being watched. This is unfair to both Player C and the rest of the players, who probably don't know about all this. Again, unfair advantage.
    If this happens, I believe this is considered Ghosting as well. The whole concept of Ghosting is about affecting the fairness of the game by disclosing information to someone who shouldn't have it. Anyone who then acts upon this information is effectively continuing to hurt the fairness of the game, and is a ghoster himself as much as the player informing is.

Hope this makes sense. We'll probably make a change to the rules to reflect this mindset and to clarify the subject.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Armour

Armour Ok. VIP

Does Player B target themselves or did I read that wrong?

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Chastity4lyfe

Chastity4lyfe *Eye roll* VIP Silver

This situation has happened to me before, and generally I screen shot it, send it off, and ignore the comment all together and continue on the whole "proof" train of only killing said person with proof. I believe that it would not be a valid kill for that innocent to kill the other traitor.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr Butters

Mr Butters For a few to be immortal, many must die. VIP

Just reading this now, that busy life, but I think Sinz was closer with the RDM stuff and things.

That person could just be lying, still be ghosting on their part. But how is it that you guys think that the ghosted person is also punished for "ghosting" ?

I think it is completely dependent on the situation that occurs whether the person the gets ghosted too gets punished for ghosting.

Scenario B: why B? because fox gave A!

There is always MIA players from traps, every now and then you get that round that has everyone identified.

If some random ass new player that has never played before !p's me saying Player C is a T, I usually just ss and send to the mod and I will certainly kill or watch the player! Sure information was given to me but was it my fault, I didn't ask for said information and I wouldn't kill myself, like wouldn't that just ruin the point of the game? Survive?

Say however I did act on said information, I had no sufficient proof, kid could of just been lying to help Player D a traitor meanwhile player C was inno. Ya know what I mean? So really all I did was kill on suspicion in that scenario

However, if 2,3,4,5 etc. friends get on and you play that spectate game where buddy 1 is t and buddy 2 is shooting all the t's for bs reasons ban both for ghosting.

Obviously you'd only know this has happened if a ss is provided from the ghosted, what I think should be done in situations like this, Ghosted player gets slain for acting on information he doesn't know, unless he just stalks the fool until fool does T act which in that case not really RDM nor is it ghosting, when it comes to random new player, you can ban him I guess but not the ghosted. Maybe just leave a note in their adminstats or give them a warning not to act on random !p information given as they can be lies.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Harvest

Harvest The Forever Serpent VIP

See, the point for me is that if you act on information whispered to you, you're acting on ghosted information, and unless you're very new to the game, you ought to know that. There was a discussion a while back where I seem to recall it was stated that if Player A and Player B are alive, and Player A whispers to Player B that there is a health station somewhere, that's ghosting as it's informing someone of something they don't know through third party chat, therefore anything that you get whispered in regards to the game falls under ghosting.

If you are messaged by somebody in a third-party chat, even if you report it, acting on that information completely changes the course of the game.

I completely disagree with this. You may not have asked for the information, and it may not be your fault, but what you do with the information is completely on you. And if you follow it, I'd say you're as complicit in ghosting as the person who messaged you. You can't just shrug and go "oh, someone told me, not my fault" when you acted on what they said.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  20. Mr Butters

Mr Butters For a few to be immortal, many must die. VIP

Ohh but you can, if random information is given to you when you dont ask for it, nor do you really want it, how is it your fault for using it? Like really you guys are going to start banning people that get ghosted too by randoms for ghosting if they dont kill themselves, thats just dumb.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1