DarkRP - Thoughts and Ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Opalium, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ♠ Lanes ♠

♠ Lanes ♠ Member

If the developers are capable enough to make their own admin system and get it to the point where it is very easy to use, then it wouldn't be such a huge issue. We would need around 20 staff members in total in the morning shift and the night shift.

I have quite the experience with DarkRP. I've played on many servers, ocassionally leaving the server because of the same generic content addon that they use. However, SuperiorServers (which is currently the #1 Server for gmod) caught my attention. Why? Most of their content is custom. That catches the attention of many players, a server being custom. Why? Because they won't have to see the same old overused addon from Steam or Scriptfodder that most DarkRP server uses. Or here's a cheatsheet that SUP uses, just modify an addon and call it custom. It works.

I believe that I have the most experience here with DarkRP and administrating on it as I was a staff member on SuperiorServers. Wasn't as long as the guy above who was a staff at DivRP for 8 months, but I handled sit requests constantly for 8+ hours daily. What SUP has done right was to not restrict players from dumb rules such as '/advert raid' and many unnecessary adverts such as '/advert kidnap' and '/advert warn 1 2 3'. Taking a gamemode like DarkRP to make it serious instead of making it non-serious is treading on thin ice. Most players that play on DarkRP servers don't want restrictions, they want as much freedom as possible to do what they want. No one would want a dumb rule such as 'no building on streets' being implemented as it is an unnecessary restriction.

What the server should have are rules that are acceptable that gives as much freedom as it dictates for the players. The server should also, in my opinion, not be SeriousRP and it should have almost fully custom content. I can probably go on but I'm still ill, can't really think of much atm. Also the think skinned people here, you should expect the DarkRP trolls to use racial slurs in role play.

Also, use a whietlist, not a blacklist.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Amr

Amr Benevolently Committed VIP Iron

Not having rules in place that prevent people from ruining roleplay is in my opinion a pretty optimistic statement. That is just appealing to the trolls of darkrp, honestly I have seen SuperiorServers, I can tell you that their staff are very unprofessional its basically a server for trolls made by trolls.

Also something to add, the only reason SuperiorServers still has members is because they litterly make everyone staff, they have 100 staff members on clonewar alone.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. ♠ Lanes ♠

♠ Lanes ♠ Member

Or, people have different opinions and preferences. Not everyone likes to go around following a 20 page rulebook on Do's and Don'ts. Hey, you're not allowed to jaywalk! You're also not allowed to have your guns out that's against the rules! Why didn't you advert raid even though it makes no sense to advert raid? That's against the rules!

No, they do not make everyone staff. They only make people staff if they are recognised in the community and possess the minimum requirements needed. Do provide an occurrence on when the staff members there are unprofessional.

Also, DarkRP is filled with trolls and mingebags more than TTT. Nothing will change that, unless miracles can happen. Having more rules that restrict players would mean that players would complain more about other players breaking silly rules. What does that mean? More work for the staff. Nothing, and I mean nothing is worse than rules that makes no sense. Even Falco, the developer of DarkRP, made a rant about the dumb rules that most server has.

With all due respect to you, being forced to do things as part of the rules is completely asinine and unnecessary. People want freedom, not restrictions. It's a turnoff for most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wex

Wex The enemy of art is the absence of limitations VIP Bronze

I have never seen a server where jaywalking and having your gun out is against the rules. Mayors will make them laws which improves roleplay but I have never seen a server with those rules so you've either taken it from a poorly made server or just making up shit to hate on servers with lots of rules even more.

As for /advert when conducting raids and other things, it's more of a protection for the players rather than a roleplay thing. It's to stop people from raiding/mugging the same dude every 5 minutes (even though there are rules placed not to raid/mug the same person within a set amount of time) and avoids the word vs word situations the staff team doesn't need to be bothered with.

I'll give an example, say you're doing a silent raid with a group of friends. You go in first, but gets killed by the owner. The owner doesn't know about your friends and they just kill him as soon as he leaves his house thinking it's safe. If the owner kills your friends without them shooting first, they can just go and claim RDM and say that they're bystanders.

You might think it's fun to have less restrictions, but it's not fun for the players on the receiving end and those guys on the receiving end, roleplaying as shopkeepers for a gun store and what not will be quitting the server because there's nothing in the rules that protects him from getting fucked by those who like to raid.

If SGM ever comes up with a DarkRP server, it will most likely be public. This isn't one of those whitelisted servers where everyone will be respectful of one another. You're going to have people who want to properly roleplay then you're going to have people who wants to kill for the fun of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. ♠ Lanes ♠

♠ Lanes ♠ Member

It was an exaggeration.

So, if there are rules in place that you are not allowed to raid or mug the same player for 5 minutes, what's stopping the staff member from checking the logs to prevent this word vs word situation? Is it that hard of an action to perform or are the logs THAT badly coded that it cannot check for lockpick/keypad cracker logs?

If you love SeriousRP so much, don't bring that to DarkRP. DarkRP and SeriousRP don't go well together. Go find it on somewhere else like SWRP or Military RP.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Have never played DarkRP. And if it was added, I still wouldn't play it

I've seen my brother play it and watched youtube videos. The playerbase is as shit as it can be. It takes 30 years to load in. It would need to be staffed every minute of every day. The rules would be more extensive than that of the TTT extended. The current playerbase wouldn't care for it. And those who say they would will get bored in 2 weeks like they did in Minecraft.

7. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

You and others keep making this point without realizing, all we need is a very small seed from the existing community to move over and seed the new server, darkrp is a big enough mode that it would gain brand new players all on its own and add to the community, in a few months time we may not even need anyone who plays TTT or MC or DR to play on it as it will have grown on itself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. zomborg

zomborg "She's like a little Satan." - CDriscoll 2015 VIP

As much as I wish I could say I think DarkRP will be successful, unfortunately I cannot with a sound mind.

I don't think that SGM belongs with any kind of RP servers. The current community might be interested but if there was genuine, long term interest then where are the other threads? Where are the discussions about it? * Prior to now, of course.

I have a feeling this will turn out like DR and MC... Hype for a few weeks, then dying almost immediately. People keep saying "we just need a small group of people"- you need more than that. You need consistency and honestly that's something we don't have.

I don't see a future for DarkRP here. If you like that kind of stuff, then there are plenty of other places to go- but this type of expansion will crumble like the others.

Regardless of my opinion, if things go forward with DarkRP, I wish whomever is on the staff and content teams the best of luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RhazhBash

RhazhBash Professional Button Presser VIP

The issue with DarkRP is that there's too many jobs someone has to do but nobody wants to do. Most people just wanna play criminal classes and do nothing but raid, and because of this you have less shop owners and police. What's the point of being a gun shop owner when your main customers are more likely to raid you and hope you have inventory to steal than actually buy a gun?

Be honest. When was the last time you ever saw CP stop someone from being raided? Adverting a raid doesn't tell the police where to go, and if it's in a far off location or if a base has low security they won't be able to get there in time if they knew.

Just like in TTT, you have lots of people who would rather go on a killing spree than play the game the way it was intended, but in DarkRP you don't have to break the rules to do that, so the issue is more prevalent. Not many people actually care about roleplaying.

If we got a DarkRP server and it stood out from all the other servers it would probably be popular enough to survive and not die out like DR or MC, but I doubt there would be a very large playerbase for the RP server. Most people would probably come and go without becoming a regular on the server.

10. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

One thing I'm going to work on is making jobs that create a need, IE if you need health, you cant self heal, you have to go to a medic, if you want guns, you have to go to a gun dealer, this will encourage class diversity.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Rozboon

Rozboon Forgive and Forget, or just forget. VIP

One thing you're going to work on? You're going to help set up the DarkRP server? hmmm I'll pass

• Dumb Dumb x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Paradox

Paradox The One Eyed Ghoul Banned Elite

Why would it matter?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. My Dime Is Up

My Dime Is Up Its my dime to code VIP

I think it's a good idea but the only reason I think why this has so many dislikes is because of the reputation DarkRP has received recently. So I am+1 for this BUT not have such stupid/outrageous/unrealistic (RP Stands for role play, so not super real, but not super unreal) rules. I thin it'd be best to base our rules around the outline the creator of DarkRP made recently since he has seen how DarkRP has evolved from what it once was to what it is now. It can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10pvotowOA3EA7K5BMgdaKVOYjbrbx6dxrQn4LWxm30A

Another thing is that with past ideas like Deathrun and minecraft, low pop, etc. they've all mostly failed. I think DarkRP is a good idea but we need to focus on more important issues before moving on to something else tht will bring in another wave of issues (and the cycle could just keep snowballing if we keep going in the direction we are at ATM).

tl;dr Good idea and I support but focus on current problems then move on to something that will bring more problems.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

We're already following this guide for guidelines

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Amr

Amr Benevolently Committed VIP Iron

That's not why you are supposed to advert raid, it's too keep logs and help when someone claims he has been raided by the same person on the regulated span.

16. Xproplayer

Xproplayer VIP Silver

To add to this, it gives me a good idea for adding a 911 style addon so that police and other support roles will get a 3d marker on their screen to know where to go for medical, police, etc

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dolph1n

Dolph1n Time is an adventure- if you know when to look. VIP

Do you care to explain why, or are you just on the "XPRO IS A TOXIC LOOPHOLER WHO NEEDS TO BE COI'D" bandwagon?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Rozboon

Bandwagon? Our relationship goes way back, back when I was admin and banned him for ghosting, I have my reasons and if you want to know them, send me a pm and I might tell you.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  19. Rozboon

Just because my name isn't on it, doesn't mean I wasn't one of the admins that chose that a ghosting ban was what you deserved, you don't remember back when you gave us a video to prove you weren't loopholing to only prove you were ghosting to your buddy?

As for changing, you talking in shoutbox, and your play style shows differently.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. john redcorn

john redcorn strangers like me VIP Emerald

Stay on course, keep the drama out of this thread.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.