A Serious Minecraft server?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by EhhChris, Sep 26, 2016.

?

How would you feel about an SGM brand Minecraft server?

1. Get my saddle, this pig needs to be ridden!

110 vote(s)
    68.3%
  2. I've broken enough 3D blocks, let me just play Gmod forever.

51 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. ink

ink Genuine Happiness VIP Silver

One thing we need to keep in mind that expanding into another game doesn't mean our community would be the same throughout. Most of the US TTT players don't play EU after it launched, or even DR when it did, but that doesn't mean that those communities are dead. They have expanded beyond our own and have attracted many newcomers and players. Sure, it'd be nice for some of to have a chance to play with friends sometime, but a new community won't last long on just the same player-base, and will expand itself. Sure Minecraft isn't as popular as it used to be, but it is not "dead" by any means and hosts many players and servers. As far as any rules go, Minecraft servers are allowed to have a shop attached to them, though we may need permission for that, so it won't be too different, or be just a drag on the servers either. In my opinion, minecraft would be a good expansion than would any other GMOD gamemodes.

2. UnclewithBenefits

UnclewithBenefits Sir Cas of Wellington VIP Silver

Guy we should make a Gary's mod Server where there is a bunch of people, and within that group of people there is a group of "Terrorist". Now here me out this is the interesting part. The other players are "Innos"/Innocents, and their job is to find the Terrorist. While the terrorist try to kill the innos one by one, and work together to kill the Innos. The Innos greatly outnumber the Traitors, and the Innos have guidelines to follow to find the Traitors. The lost person who lives team wins. I have high hopes for this server, and hope you guys do too. Its creative,fun, and great for socializing. I want to call it Trouble in Radical Land.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. AnarkisT

AnarkisT ★ No Gods, No Masters. ★ VIP Silver Emerald

Personally, I would welcome any form of expansion in the community (Still holding out hope for a Dark RP server) But minecraft is pretty cool too

4. CorallocinB

CorallocinB Animeme lord VIP Silver Emerald

I think the biggest concern here is, if we were to get a Minecraft server... What would we be called then?

Serious _____?

The adoring public needs to know.

5. Mason

Mason VIP Silver

serious gaming? serious gmod (and minecraft)?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. If everyone is going with this, I might as well hop the wagon.

Considering on how to keep the server alive as long as possible (if it lasts longer than what I expected ofc), I would recommend starting giveaways for Minecraft because even I don't own minecraft and probably 75% of the people too but if the server does come alive and many people are willing to contribute to the server, I might do a few giveaways (https://minecraft.net/en/prepaid/?ref=bm) and maybe more if people are willing to do the same.

By the way, TERRARIA SHOULD HAVE BEEN A SERVER INSTEAD OF MINECRAFT.

k

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

I mean a lot of people here own minecraft. I can name 50. But it just seems dumb. But then again some people would want minecraft, right? Sure! I agree giveaways would be nice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Like I said, even I don't own minecraft (PS4 minecraft don't count. GG PSPlus).

9. tho i dont have an original version of minecraft tho the idea of expanding the comunity into more games.. tho im not a minecraft expert i cant suggest any game type .. i just hope the server would offer a gamemode that people cant get bored of .. maybe hunger games idk.
    im a huge fan of the idea and if it did happen to become a reality id buy an original version of minecraft to be able to join :D

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. Skyrossm

Skyrossm Ideal Female Moderator? VIP Emerald Bronze

Factions with regular resets of the game world is the best way, also the more players you have = more competitive meaning people will try harder and play longer. This is why so many games have leader boards as people want to be the best and will try until they either give up or make it there. When the world gets reset (along with seasonal leaderboards) people will play to try and make it to the top before anyone else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. UnclewithBenefits

UnclewithBenefits Sir Cas of Wellington VIP Silver

We should make a Serious Trouble in Radical Town.

• Dumb Dumb x 4
  12. Atticus!

Atticus! VIP

I have personal experience with Irritatingness's MC servers. Alone He created a popular faction and zombie survival server (Zombie mod he coded himself and it was awesome and many other mods). He was also an admin on several popular servers showing he has the skill set for this. Given the community and opportunity; I'm positive he will do great things for SeriousTTT servers. Minecraft isn't as dead as you all think. Huge servers pull in a majority of the players so you don't see many on smaller servers. Luckily this is the SeriousTTT community we're speaking of and it will most likely become a huge server as well. Advertising on Minecraft would pull in new players to SeriousTTT as the inverse happens with our community. It's a take and give relationship. I believe this is easily worth the risk.

13. EhhChris

EhhChris Advisor. VIP Silver Emerald

Alright guys, sorry for my tardiness, I did say I would be replying today, but even I didn't expect it to be this late. Homework is killer.

Anyway... let's get into this.

So, a few popular topics that came up (and they should be popular!) are the staff team, donations, the rate of which the GMod server get new content, longevity of a Minecraft server, FTB, among others. I'll try to cover most of this ground, and I'll probably quote a few of you, but there are far too many posts to quote, I'd be here all night.

So.. to kick this off, as it's a popular point of contention... staff. Ultimately, this is not my decision, and the structure of how this would play out would heavily rely on @Highwon. As I understand it / tossed the idea around, I'd be coming on as a Developer and maintaining the Minecraft server. Originally it was of my opinion that proper plugin use / management would prevent nearly all cheats. I've since done some research and found that there are indeed some newer cheat clients that can bypass things such as anti-fly and kill-aura to an extent. However plugins can still mitigate things such as x-ray and chest ESP. Player ESP, radar, and other unavoidable hacks are hard to prevent but do not harm gameplay nearly as much as many others. If we could find a way to patch these, we most certainly would. Now, back to staff. If we had a server that was active I'd recommend having 4-8 moderators and 1-2 admins in the same setup as we do with other games, but they would likely only be preventing harassment and managing player reports on the forums. These staff members would likely be selected from applications in a similar fashion as other game-modes. I'm not the sheriff around here, so I won't tell you who can and can't apply, but I'd assume that existing staff members would owe their time to the existing game-modes as a priority. This same issue came about with deathrun, and it resolved over time. The last thing I'll say here is that again, I don't/don't see myself making these decisions, so if this happens, we'll hear from the upper administration when it does.

Next.. because I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure how it'd work out, Feed The Beast. A good handful of you guys (@Quit @Slicck @The Law @Smash @Xproplayer @Harry Potter @hello my friend ) like the idea of going the route of FTB. That's understandable, because I get it, Minecraft can lose it's appeal to people over time. If you feel you've seen it all, mods are a great way to add content. However- mods make managing a server a bit more difficult. Especially from the standpoint of donations. As it was mentioned, the Mojang EULA enforcement prevents us from (legally) selling perks and items in-game that would deem the game Pay2Win. This also prevents server from giving individual rewards for voting. I don't know why Mojang decided they wanted to enforce this after allowing it to happen for so long, but they did. Anyway, with Feed The Beast, you're running a Forge server. Forge is not natively compatible with Craftbukkit plugins, and this is where our issue lies. Donation perks that are NOT P2W are largely driven by custom plugin development, and would be hard to implement in a server that can't support plugins. Yes, there are other Forge mods that can add perks that might be deemed worthy of donation, but I have zero experience there. This is something I have to research more.

Continuing with alternatives to make FTB possible in a donation-friendly environment is the possibility of using something called Cauldron (formally MCPC+). This allows servers to run Craftbukkit plugins alongside Forge mods, however has not been updated since 1.7.10, and likely will never be updated again. This would limit us to a single version with no vision of a future beyond an already aged version.

Another option for this is potentially the new server software Sponge. I've been kinda hands-off following Sponge for a long time now because it's supposed to be THE replacement for Bukkit after the drama. Supposedly Sponge will allow similar capabilities as Cauldron, however I can't find anything specific saying 100% what we want (FTB + plugins) will work. Sponge also has very little plugin support and a vastly different API from Bukkit at this point, so most if not all Bukkit/Spigot plugins will not work without a rewrite. So it's looking like that'll be a solid wall we can't phase through either. We'll see though.

Lastly, @Xproplayer whitelisting a Forge server could prove to be detrimental to any player-base we accumulate (it'd be far slower growing), and would hurt possibilities of donations. Absolutely nothing against whitelisting, but in this case it'd probably be a bad move. @hello my friend was also on a path I liked with multiple worlds as in one for Forge and one for vanilla w/ plugins. Unfortunately, I don't believe this is possible outside of Cauldron and I believe that functionality would still require mod installation client-side. Another way of achieving this would be a BungeeCord setup that links a Cauldron server with a Vanilla server, however they'd be on different versions (1.7.10 vs 1.10.2) and I don't believe we could make that possible either. It would be cool though. If any of you have suggestions on maintaining (modding / monetizing) a FTB server, I'd love to hear them. It's a unique issue.

Alright, enough on FTB for now, next... longevity. This is an issue many a Minecraft server has faced. And a lot of you guys are right, this would have to be something that a lot of people could invest time in and not get bored, or at least make them want to periodically come back. This can be addressed in many ways, such as mini-games, achievements, etc. I don't like the idea of maintaining 100 different mini-games like major Minecraft networks do though, that's exhausting, and would require far more than one dev. We'd also need unique content to draw the attention of new players on a continuous basis. This can be addressed with custom plugins, in-frequent resets, multiple worlds for things like creative (that can be tied directly into the server with build contests on a semi-regular basis). Overall, I feel a Factions server with a creative plot-world would be the best way to begin, and from there it'd be easier to progress on what makes that experience more enjoyable / repeatable, but if the community feels that Factions is not a good way to go, I can understand that too.

Now, it's been hinted to a few times, and said plainly too, that Minecraft should not come before more expansion in Gmod, or more frequent content in Gmod. I understand wanting to stick to the roots of the community, and wanting to see more content for the base-game. However, I am not proposing that Highwon and Chai drop what they're doing and come help me setup a Minecraft server. Highwon would need to help tie-in donations if this happened, and have a hand in any kind of staff team decisions, but that's about it. I'd be developing this for the community because this is something I am capable of doing. I'd offer (and I do if this doesn't work out) to develop for Gmod, but my skills are more applicable to Minecraft (I've got experience with Java, not Lua).

With donations, I've kinda already covered it by accident in a previous passage, but ultimately, the goal would be to have a system in which there is no pay-2-win features as to not violate the Mojang EULA. Concepts on abiding by this rule currently only revolve around the use of plugins, something which FTB or other modded versions might not apply so well to. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them. However, the current idea is to keep the system similar to that of the existing one (10/20/10 per month). This is not final, nor is it my decision, as this is not my community. If this proceeds, this would be worked out prior to any kind of official launch.

The last thing I'm going to add here, because as someone mentioned, the poll above was not entirely diverse, is a new poll. I understand not as many people will vote on this one, but that's okay, it'll give us a good idea on who is actually paying attention / wants this or REALLY doesn't want it.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11331254

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Mr. Disco

FTB infinity runs on 1.7.10, and that's the most current modpack, and is super fun.

@irritatingness can I add you on steam, I want to talk to you about what I know in the FTB server world for a second. I know a few things you didn't mention.

( I know you have a lot of experience with MC and their servers, but I've worked with FTB since 1.2.5, I know a lot of stuff about it.)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Han

Han       VIP

@irritatingness

Is it possible we could also get a poll separating the people who would A, support the prospect, and B, support the prospect but also become a regular?

16. Mason

Mason VIP Silver

I don't think the amount of people that say they would be a regular is accurate to the number of people that would actually be regulars.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mr. Disco

I would play no life style on FTB. I would not really like factions/jail break/hunger games/sky wars, cause I find that shit to get boring to me, or just not fun. But I really love skyblock, and I would also become a regular on skyblock (Depending on the economy, I don't want it to be broken, but I don't want it to be super difficult to make money. )

18. Kythol

Kythol ok Moderator VIP

While I love Minecraft mods and would love to see an Official SGMod server, I'm against FTB. While I understand why it's a fun mod to play, like @irritatingness has said, it makes management of the server a lot more difficult. Also, one of the things that gave Minecraft it's original charm in my eyes was it's simplicity. You punch trees, build a base, and do whatever you feel like! However, with mods like FTB, it starts to become way more complicated than necessary. An acceptable base requires 10x more maintenance and many more man hours to build than in a Vanilla or Factions/McMMO server. I've also been a sucker for Prison servers since the days of DDTS (Don't Drop The Soap, rip me getting perma banned from there for hacking when I didn't even hack), Lockdown, Convicted, and many more. The charm of those servers was you worked your ass off to progress through the ranks and then were set free, where there was an (almost) endless world where you could go build a base and do anything you wanted. You could have factions and go raid people like in your normal factions server! If that wasn't for you, staying at the prison and getting rich as fuck was always an option. What I'm trying to say is that you don't need FTB to have fun. There's basically endless options out there that don't require adding the complex series of mods that FTB has.

Hell, those prison servers were where I got some of my original experience with staffing back in the days before I owned GMod.

19. Oxydeous

Oxydeous VIP

Normally I'd be ok with factions and whatnot, but man I can't stand those who just team up with their clique and hold a knife to the throats of outsiders. That's just the antithesis of growth and progress.

20. Mason

Mason VIP Silver

thats how i have fun in faction based games

• Agree Agree x 3