Remove the Punishment for Leaving After Being Slayed

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Joey Skylynx, Sep 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Skylynx

Joey Skylynx New Member

At the current moment in time a rule exists on the server which effectively states if you are slayed for say RDM, you must stay on the server or you will be instantly banned for two weeks for "RDM and Leave" this rule is utter non-sense and is utterly counterproductive to the gameplay of Trouble And Terrorist Town.

From what I understand the reasons this rule exists are as followed(with my own answers and critics of these ideas)

1. It is to prevent confusion for those who look at the scoreboard for information regarding users that are alive/amount of traitors left.

Why this doesn't work in practical reasoning: When the round starts it not only prints into console how many T's are present in that round, but anyone with a simple understanding of the gameplay mechanics should easily know that for every detective you have two traitors, and for every traitor you have four innocents. By simply understanding this, this rule wouldn't apply in any realistic sense as any user should be able to tell how many traitors are alive. Not to mention they can still count those that are slayed, even if they leave by simply adding the number after the fact.

2. Players should stay the entire round as it is a timeout for the thing they have done.

Why this is silly: The nature of this argument is pretty dumb to be honest. Under this idea, anyone who is already punished for whatever they have done previously can have a 14 day ban applied to them for a round which at most takes 10 minutes to complete. The numbers do not add up, nor do they work in any rationality. If the idea was to put someone into timeout, why not just have a system which bans them for the round, and then unbans them once the round is completed? Why even bother with slays if you wish to make someone serve a timeout?

3. By keeping the players in the server, the server is higher on the Garry's Mod search engine, and therefore the server benefits from them not leaving during a slay.

Why this is heretical: As reason #2 is the one which seems to have more of a following at the moment, I'd like to at least hope that someone was just joking with me when they said this. If this is the actual reason, then that is pretty selfish and screwed up on the server's part. It's forcing players to stay within the server just so the server can seem more active then it might actually be. For all a player on the server browser knows, three to five users may be slain out of say 15 players. So 10 players are only truly active, excluding possible spectators.

As you can imagine, none of the arguments for why this rule exists really hold much water. It's a fairly silly concept that players must remain within the server while they are slain, as it seems to be an attempt to make a hybrid between keeping players in the server while performing a ban of sorts. If you are just going to force someone to stay in the server during a slay, just ban them for the round and let them rejoin if they want. Otherwise allow players to leave the server at their own freewill when they have already been punished for whatever they could have possibly done wrong.

• Dumb Dumb x 16
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Mr. Rogers

Mr. Rogers Lil Tokyo VIP Silver

This has been suggested numerous times so I am going to keep this short and sweet for you.

You take away / hinder a round of a player, then a round of yours gets taken away / hindered. This has been and always will be the system we use for our servers. We find this to be the most fair course of action and I hope this is understood.

I'm sorry to shut this down so quickly when you wrote your post up with a bunch of points on why we should change the ruling, but it definitely will not be changed.

Due to this being suggested numerous times before and being shot down each time, I will be locking and denying this suggestion. Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.