Recording Your Gameplay

Discussion in 'TTT Discussion' started by xTimmonZ, Jun 4, 2014.

1. xTimmonZ

xTimmonZ If I'm a traitor, you're a victim. VIP

Obviously, staff members make mistakes. There's no questions to it. When we receive reports, we cannot see your point of view of any scenario, and we base our verdicts off of what the logs show us. While the logs NEVER MAKE MISTAKES, they also don't show everything. That is why we usually ask for your help when solving complicated reports. To lighten the load on us, I'm advising you guys to record your game play. This way, you can show us your POV and what actually happened (contrary to what another player may be saying).

Why should you record?
    You should record for many reasons. First, in the rare occurrence that you get false-slayed, you may report the staff member with video evidence of the scenario. Second, you may use it to report players when no staff members are online. *You're not being a snitch; you're helping the community out, as a whole.* Third, you can make some pretty funny montage clips of the crazy shenanigans that happen on our great servers.

Why staff members should record:
    You don't remember everything. None of us do. Having to remember who called a false KOS can be tricky, and the player will often not own up to his act. With video evidence, you can trace the call-out to the source. Also, in the cases that you are personally reported on the forums, you'll have evidence to show that your actions were justified.

How do I record?

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of programs which you can use to record your gameplay. I've tried xsplit, I've tried Fraps, but not of them compare to a program which I stumbled upon while streaming for League of Legends. This program, called Open Broadcaster Software (OBS), is a top-tier program for recording/streaming gameplay for quite a bargain - it's COMPLETELY FREE. The developers of this program accept donations, so feel free to donate if you deem it is worthy (other programs cost ~$50+/yr). In the video below, I will show you how to download and setup OBS. I hope at least some of you find this to be helpful.

Click here to download it for yourself!​

Note: If you're using OBS to stream it will only allow 3500 kb/s MAX for video bitrate.
    Since a few players have now asked me about it, YES you can save the file type with date/time reference. Please click HERE to learn how.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. The Don

The Don VIP

ok so i was gonna make a post for this question but ill just do it here. So i made this great gameplay of a 7 sniper kills and i used demos to record it (the thing where you go into console and type `record`, so then i went onto demos in the G-mod folder and it says i cant play the video because its a DEM file. if anyone has a way to bypass this ristriction or a file convertor pls tell me.

3. Chronos

Chronos VIP

start gmod and then in console type: play "name of demo" or playdemo "name of demo"
    i forget which one

4. Silent Rebel

Silent Rebel Lead Shitposter VIP

This is really useful, i suggest a sticky for this thread. If more players recorded their gameplay, it would help the reports go a lot smoother. I record 99% of my rounds and don't have problems with rdm reports anymore. Saves me from getting slain every now and then, and also helps find who called false koses to solve those sort of reports.

5. Romulus

Romulus The Alpha VIP

Just a question - is there any further setup to avoid microphone audio input (since mine isn't working, you'd hear just a buzz), and directly record in-game audio?

6. xTimmonZ

@Anarkhiya Just click the microphone that is shown in this picture. That should mute your microphone input. You can also select a push-to-talk hotkey that can be set to the same button that your ingame push-to-talk hotkey is, incase you prefer that as well :love:
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Romulus

Romulus The Alpha VIP

Thank you, TimmonZ c:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Bluesky4life

Bluesky4life Regular Member

Thanks man you help me start my youtube courire

9. were does it go when you install it

10. xTimmonZ

Most likely to your download folder. Just go to your downloads, and it should be there.

11. it only shows the installler downloaded

12. xTimmonZ

Oh, if you already used the installer to actually download the program, the program can most likely be found in the OBS folder in your C:/Program Files/OBS folder. @Master Tiger

13. Found it, it is actually a really good recording system

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. It doesn't even work for me (windows 8) The file it makes doesn't let me play it :(
    (both the file options)

15. It wont play on mine so can ya help me fix it?

16. xTimmonZ

Do you use the WMP app that's part of the Windows 8 system? That may be the issue - I'm using the desktop one.

17. xTimmonZ

@doublerainbow The new feature that made Windows Media Player an app in Windows 8 severely fucked it for them. I got my laptop right about the time that Windows 8 was introduced, and I loaded it on. Literally, I could not play any video on it for ages due to their new broken mechanism for it. I'd highly suggest that you figure out a way to download the windows media player desktop version of it. I don't recall how to do it or I'd help you with that, but that is what fixed my problem. {I'm hoping you know what I mean when I refer to the difference between the app-version and the desktop-version because you also have Windows 8}

I believe this may be a quick-fix, assuming you have the desktop-version downloaded:
    http://blog.laptopmag.com/6-ways-to-totally-avoid-metro-and-use-only-desktop-mode-in-windows-8/3

18. Well i have the app version -_- and i'm to lazy to find the desktop version so bandicam it is

19. I have windows 8.1 and it works fine for me

• Informative Informative x 1