Loophole Responses - Punishable?

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Python~, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

Basically, I think we would punish people who decide to loophole through reports

Loop-holing
    Loop-holing through reports is when a report is filed against a user and that user decides to respond with inaccurate information, as to avoid the slay. This could be done in many ways, a percentage of which is making a report seem word vs. word. For instance, a player is reported for RDMing a T. Well, the player simply replies that he saw the T go into the T room. Since there are no logs for when a T goes to and from a traitor only area, a mod cannot slay unless they witness it first hand. Other examples include: "he ran past an UnID body" "he flung a prop at high velocity towards me" and "he tried pushing me off a ledge"​

Demos
    Now, you may be asking yourself "Python, you idiot, they're 'word v. word' reports for a reason, we can't catch them because we have no way of knowing the truth." Ah, but what if I told you demos existed. Yes, beautiful, uncut evidence of an entire round that anyone with GMod and use, and anyone with an e-mail address can upload and share (using Mediafire). As for me, I tend to record a lot. And, if needed, give a mod the demo so he gets a full story with my PoV. This sheds light on what really happened. It picks up voice chat (from other players) to see who called out a KOS or to see if T buddies warn in chat - both a word v. word tactic. This is obviously very far from perfect, but it's a good start to rid the servers of these toxic players

Why?
    Since I tend to record a bit, I tend to get several players who loophole their way out of reports I have filed against them. Usually I can catch them on recording obviously lying about their response to the report. However, their punishment is very minor. A slay at most. And that's including a large part of my (the victim's) time and the mod's time, to download and watch. And at this point, the player might not even be on the server anymore so nothing can be done, because it's not considered RDM and Leave.

Punishments and Conclusion
    Punishments for these kinds of people are yet to be decided, and would involve an entirely new set of rules in the !motd as well as mods adjusting to new ban times, although I don't see this to be used frequently. However, this implementation can lead to less RDM, decrease in toxic playing, an encouragement to players to record their games (which are helpful in numerous situations like forum reports) and an overall increase in gameplay experience.

Thank you for reading, and please be gentle
    -Python​

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Sinz

Sinz crumble VIP Silver

Loopholing is already a punishable offense by discretion only to be exercised by admins or higher.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Python~

Python~ Young Bard VIP Silver Emerald

I know this is kind of a broad question, but what is the punishment for this?

4. Sinz

Sinz crumble VIP Silver

Varies by administrator and history of the offender, the punishment is typically more severe then normal protocol given for RDM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

TL;DR: Just read Sinz's first post.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

Here is a good example of a punishment handed down to a repeat offender of loopholing: http://www.seriousttt.com/threads/aspiringsuns-appeal.17096/
    - Each time a player is caught loopholing a note is made on their record. Once enough notes are made on this player an administrator will step in and ban the player at their discretion.

7. Wojack

Wojack Her king :3 VIP

I agree with what he's saying, because a mod can't use discretion, so if soemone is caught Loopholing while only a mod is on, then that kind of sucks, because they can't be punished. I mean they could call an admin, but it would be easier to just have a set punishment that the mod could give

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

Steps to getting admin discretion:
    1. Login to the STTT TS server.
    2. Find an admin+ there
    3. Explain the situation to the
    4. Request discretion on further punishment.
    There's also an area where mods can request for extensions by admins that we can't see.

The steps aren't that difficult.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Sinz

Sinz crumble VIP Silver

Too many moderators for them to freely punish anyone willy-nilly & enforce their own standard of rules. 10 admins is easy to monitor by the Leads.