Rejected Logging Server PM's? :>

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Cee, Sep 7, 2014.

?

Implement a system for PM logging?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. NO

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cee

Cee Dobar dan! Supporter

Hi everyone!

The idea just dawned on me...

I think it would be a good idea to implement a system where PM's were logged.
    This has several benefits:
    • Review for ghosting
    • Review for the times people harass via PM's
    • Review for evidence regarding RDM reports
    Let me know down below of issues/pros about this idea!

:>

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Arcanius

Arcanius Oh, you like it there VIP

Their is a reason why its called "Private" message

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cee

Cee Dobar dan! Supporter

I was waiting for a response like this to come up.
    I think that anything you do on the server should be able to be seen by staff members. We are responsible for collecting evidence against ghosting and if we aren't able to see pm's that do just that, how are we to take action for it?

Secondly, most players do not remember to take screenshots of harassment toward them in private messages. This system would allow us to spot it and respond without having to have players file reports on the forums to prove it.

Thirdly, if it is truly private, use Steam messaging or a private room in Team speak.

4. The Law

The Law You fought the law and the law won. VIP Silver Emerald

I believe the best way to implement this system would be to allow all staff the ability to view PM's, but we could limit that ability to just Admins and above, but it wouldn't be as effective. The system could allow staff to look into select players PMs if we receive a complaint about harassment over PMs, or we suspect ghosting through PMs. This way PM's can still remain for the most part private, but still obtainable if given a reason to view them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Taco_Rocket

Taco_Rocket G-G-G-Godmin VIP

Is it possible to have just all chat logs printed to a txt file that somewhere the staff can access? Or have it where at admin's discretion, they can be released. Like the damagelogs.

6. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

This was suggested once before, but never took off. Check the Staff Discussion or maybe the Admin Discussion for the boys in dodger blue.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Rice

Rice stay golden. VIP

I would suggest something akin to the showfriends or the adminstats tab where you can select any individual player. This way its not a blanket free for-all/spam fest and we do not need to see unnecessary messages, this allows us to still do our jobs as staff. So, when we select the player to see their PMs they would ideally show up in the console. (y)

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Personally, I think this is a breach of privacy. Right now, -1

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Taco_Rocket

lol you have no privacy. You're logging into a third-party server bound be the terms we set forth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cee

Cee Dobar dan! Supporter

This is correct. Not only this but ULX already logs private messages. :I

This thread is more about making this more available to admin staff.

11. Staff do not need to see all PMs.

12. Taco_Rocket

I think if you're concerned with what you're typing in game, you might want to move that off in-game messaging. Period.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. [​IMG]

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  14. ExtraJuicyTable

ExtraJuicyTable Staying under the radar. VIP

I do like the idea because it would be a lot easier to catch people who are harassing, ghosting and picking up any kind of evidence. But then again what's the point of a private messaging if it's not private to the person your sending it to. If it is added I agree that admins and above would only be permitted to see it. I am neutral on the suggestion I wouldn't mind if it's added or not, because I have nothing to hide and I would hope its the same for everyone else.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. CDriscoll

CDriscoll Lemme advise you VIP Bronze

This is a server, not a democracy or any other government. You already abide by the server's rules and conditions at your own free will, why will this be different? If Highwon wanted to change every player model to a chicken, he could do so simply because it's his call.

If something is truly bad enough as to where you are afraid of the staff that are meant to help protect you on these servers, you probably shouldn't be saying it in game anyways.

16. Fyi, that was a joke, also, I never use the PM system, I'm just saying it might be a breach of privacy to others.

17. Turquoise

Turquoise Princess of Vanilla VIP

Unless for some odd reason you're going onto the topic of something truthfully personal that you're too lazy to shift + tab to enter into a steam chat upon another player in the server, then it'd probably be added upon the MOTD/Rules page something along the lines of this: "All PM's are logged, kindly save yourself future troubles by abiding by our rules. Thanks, and have fun." If not that, then it'd probably be constantly brought up by regular users complaining about it just like the Double Barrel. Personally, +1 since you'd be expected to follow the rules anyhow. It's hard enough to catch ghosters/PM Spammers as it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  18. Mr. Rogers

Mr. Rogers Lil Tokyo VIP Silver

While you're on STTT you should have nothing to hide from the staff.

Shift+Tab grants you the opportunity to private message someone. Along with many many programs.

19. Change-up

Change-up "Change is coming" VIP

Why would you need privacy in a game?

20. Linkthedinosaur

Linkthedinosaur Self Proclaimed Master of the No Scope VIP

I was thinking of this the other night. +1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.