Legends Are Forever

Discussion in 'Farewells' started by Opalium, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Opalium

Opalium Stay Awesome Banned VIP Silver

=====================================
    "Heroes come and go,
    but legends are forever"

=====================================

Hey SGMers.

It is with a very heavy heart that I make this thread. However, after many weeks of consideration, I have finally come to a conclusion.

It's time.

=====================

For over two years now, I've taken part in accompanying, assisting, and eventually leading SGM, our beloved community. Two years that have been full of unforgettable moments, for good and for bad. There have been moments of success, of disappointment, of joy and of frustration, throughout what I consider to be one of my greatest works. I've met the most amazing people, done the most ambitious things, and learned the most important lessons - all of this while creating so many memories I cannot even count.

SGM has been an inseparable part of my life for literally years, and I have given all of myself to it. It is how I believe things should be done - when one does something out of pure passion, one should give all of itself to it. And this is what I did, investing myself both professionally and emotionally into this project. For the most part, it has been an amazing journey and lots of fun - but I won't lie and say this hasn't taken a personal toll on me either. It's not easy, running a community, especially when you're under some constraints and restrictions. Yet still, I have always found the power to keep going, remembering the reason I'm doing all this for. This is the foundation that I have based all my efforts on for so long now.

But as of recent, things started to change. The passion that led me to this day is no longer the same. From a bright flame, it slowly died out into a shadow of its former self, for many different reasons. While this is not the place to go into details, there are various things that happened behind the scenes that pushed me in this direction. Some within my control, some not, but they all had a part in leading me down this path.

It is no secret that SGM has been in decline recently. In fact, this is probably putting it very lightly. For reasons both in our control and out of our reach, we have been sliding down a slippery slope. It is the unfortunate truth of such projects - there is no certain way to know what will come next. With an aging concept that is not always able to stand the tests of time, an aging community scarred by dramas and ridiculous occurrences, and various other troubles, it's becoming more and more difficult for the people behind this project to keep things intact - myself included. When more and more odds turn against us, it's hard to find the power to keep pushing. I'm afraid that at this point, I have reached the end of my rope. And now, more than ever, it's clear to me...

It's time.

It's time for me to let go and to move on. I've grown tired and of my duties in SGM, duties I fulfilled under many restrictions I want to leave behind. It's time for me to move onwards to new projects that better fit my creativity and ambitions. Projects that I can dedicate myself to, like I always end up doing, but without the handicaps. Projects where I am the one navigating the ship, where I can make way for my ideas and for innovation. And most importantly: projects that I will feel truly fulfilled and rewarded for.

Do not take my words for bitterness or blame. I don't regret a single moment and I have no bad blood with anyone. I am happy to have had the opportunity to be a part of this project. I had a blast playing with everyone, staffing with the team, connecting with the people, developing new ideas, and giving from myself. My time here in SGM, even with the many challenges it imposed for me, has been amazingly fun, satisfying and fulfilling. It has been an honor for me to serve for so long and make this community something you enjoyed being part of. Even if I could go back in time, I wouldn't change anything about my journey here. And as I take my leave, I know I do so cleanly and in peace, as it should be. I know I have done what I was meant to do.

But now it's time to return the badge. I just can't go about things the same way now that my sights are set elsewhere. It would be unfair for me to remain in power when I am, in fact, no longer involved. As I've advised the many staff members that took part in our team: "A true leader knows when the battle is lost". SGM, now more than ever, deserves a caring and involved leader, a role that I am no longer able or willing to fulfill.

Therefore, I would like to officially to announce that as of today, I am stepping down from my role as the community Co-Owner, as well as all other roles I had in SGM, permanently.

It's time.

=====================

As tradition dictates, this is where I should address different people who had an impact on me during my time here. However, after so much time, the list is so huge I cannot possibly go over it without missing many of them. Therefore, I'll have to do this differently.

• To the staff of SGM in the present and in the past: thank you for the dedication. You, the guys, gals, and in-betweens of the staff team, are the bread and butter of our community, and the main force that keeps it alive. I've met dozens of you throughout these two years, and while each of you was different in their own way, you all shared one thing inside you: the will to give and to participate. As someone who grew from the very bottom like you, I had such a wonderful time watching you all grow and improve, thrusting the community forward with every action, and shaping our future with your very own hands. Whatever you did among our lines, know this: you've made your impact and left your mark in the history pages of SGM. Thank you.

• To the administration and leadership of SGM in the present and in the past: thank you for the cooperation. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and you all are a living proof of that. Through our teamwork, we managed to create and maintain something great, something truly impressive. Managing people is perhaps the most difficult task of them all, but nevertheless, we have tackled it all seamlessly, acting as the glue that holds together the many parts of this machine called "The Staff Team". And even now, as I pass the wand back to you all, I am completely assured you will do it on the best side possible just like always. Thank you.

• And lastly, to the players and members of SGM in the present and in the past: thank you for the love, the hate, and the memories. At the end of the day, all that I and the rest of the people behind SGM did was done for you. Our effort and work, the countless months of work and precious time sank into this passion project and all the frustration that came with it. All of it. And whether you are my friend, my enemy, or neither - thank you for being here and for leaving an impact on me. Because all of you did. Each and every person I met in SGM has left a memory in me, memories that I will carry on for a long time. Whether we meet again soon, not-so-soon, or never again, do know that it has been a pleasure to meet you, whoever you are. Thank you.

=====================

To wrap it up, I'll answer some questions you probably have now.

Halloween?
    Unfortunately, I did not have the time to make anything this year. I've spent a great deal of the last few weeks busy to my neck with other projects and things I am responsible for. Seasonal events take a lot of time to create, and I didn't want to end up with something half-assed that'll leave everyone disappointed.

What will be of SGM now?
    There will be an announcement posted by Highwon shortly after this thread is posted that will address just this. Hang tight.
    EDIT: It's here - https://www.seriousgmod.com/threads/shutdown.50541/

And lastly: what are you going to do now?
    Excellent question. I already have my plans prepared and ready to be set in motion, big and ambitious as they usually are. It's not unlikely that you may bump into my work again in the future. What exactly do I plan? This I cannot quite tell yet. All I can say is: if you wish to know more, stay in touch with me and follow my doings. It will all be clear soon.

=====================

And with all this in mind, I'd like to thank you all again for being here with me throughout this journey. It was an honor and a pleasure, and I am certain many of us will meet again elsewhere, perhaps sooner then you expect...

Best regards to you all, and as always...
    Stay Awesome

~Opalium
    :love:

• Friendly Friendly x 33
    • Winner Winner x 15
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Stitch

Stitch Forever the friendly blue alien koala VIP

fuck
    this sucks

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

Joking aside this sucks. You were such a great person and your leadership in this community (while not always 100%) has been an amazing thing. There isn't enough words of praise I could shower you in. Simply the fact that you took initiative and updated our broken ass systems and made them better is good enough, but you couldn't stop there could you? I can't wait to see what you do next. Keep me posted motherfucker because I will forget. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Acnologia

Acnologia modern desperado VIP Silver

The end.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. ekksdee

ekksdee wrath VIP Bronze

:cry:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. .shirt

.shirt VIP

Farewell sweet prince, you were by far and beyond the most dedicated person to this server. It's a shame to see you go but oyu know what they say all good things must come to an end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

• Like Like x 3
  8. neutral

neutral VIP

:fistbump:

Thanks for your dedication, Opal. Thanks also for the opportunity you’ve given me in this community. Rest well... (or not). More than anything, be excited for the future. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. UncleBee

UncleBee VIP

told ya

• Dumb Dumb x 4
  10. Timo654

Timo654 EU BEST VIP Silver

:(

eu still best

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAA coolgamer VIP

You were the best thing that's happened to SGM

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Hyper ✿

Hyper ✿ peace lata VIP Bronze

opallll

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Ruki

Ruki 目の前で明日が死んでる VIP

Thank you for everything @Opalium it was an honour to have you as our co-owner. Many great moments happened as well as many great updates and changes to the community. Hope you see you around again soon. <3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. JackThePumpkin

JackThePumpkin VIP Bronze

Ya did a good

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Titan

Titan SGM's official music nerd Administrator VIP Bronze

Opal... I've got a lot of things to say to you !but I don't particularly want to write a book, so I'll try to keep it short: Thanks for all you have done, your dedication, your hard work, your dedication, your friendliness and your passion. I know you had an effect on all of us. I respect all you've done for this community, because honestly, couldn't see myself doing the same. I admire your recognition of when it's time to step down.

Lastly, before I bid you adieu, I'd like to wish you good luck in your future endeavors. You're great at this whole programming thing, and I'm excited for future projects. Hope I see your name on the frontpage of reddit for doing something great. Until then, it's farewell. Seeya friend. Thanks for pumping so much life into this community.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Cash

Cash I staff the proper way Banned VIP

You might hate me but you did a good job

too bad this is it chief :(

17. Lightning

Lightning Bringing the Thunder VIP

:eek:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Teroxa

Teroxa Vier Fäuste für ein Halleluja VIP Silver

You did wonders for this community.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Robyn

Robyn Floof Moderator VIP Silver

FUCK

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. TheDarkFade

TheDarkFade Russian Double Agent VIP

I didn't even get a chance to show my full potential as a member of the staff. I had only managed 6 days as a mod. I understand that the community will still be up for a year but it just isnt the same anymore. I doubt I will be as motivated to come on as much anymore and I think its the same with many other members of the staff. For the time that I did manage to serve as a mod, I've loved it and its probably been one of the best weeks of my life. I hope someone will somehow manage to revive the server but its just hope what do I know.

• Friendly Friendly x 2