Answered Have any Staff ever done this?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by STONEY, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Have you?

1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

77.8%
  1. STONEY

STONEY I AM FIRE, I AM DEATH. VIP

I've thought of this before, but never thought to ask.

Has any Staff Member ever used their experience as Mod/Admin/Lead on an actual Résumé? (Vote if you don't feel like sharing)

Has it worked out for you?

Did the interviewer ever ask you about it in the interview?

Just curious to hear the stories.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

No. I have not. Given the things I do and say, probably never will put this on my resume.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Togo ✿

Togo ✿ Nobody Gets it VIP Silver

yes i did and it worked
    and you should too

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

I considered listing it under volunteer, but couldn't really fit it

5. Mellow

Mellow Taking it easy VIP

Back when I applied for an IT place internship for one year I put something similar on mine, saying that I regularly interact within a community as an administrator. I'm not sure how many companies actually care, but I ended up getting accepted and they mentioned that they actually thought it was nice to mention as it showed that I can get along with people from all over the world while also showing the capability to take responsibility for my actions.

Edit: I was told to put this on my Resume by someone helping students to write better Resumes, I actually didn't think that it was worthy of putting there myself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Graze

Graze Zzz... VIP Silver

I used it to get the job that I applied for after leaving. My employer told me that I got it simply because of how good it looked on the resume. If you left on good terms and had a long tenure, I 100% reccommend putting staff experience here on your resume.

If you want more information about specifics, feel free to ask, but it totally works on a resume.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Zigles

Zigles Rule #1: Never trust a Zigles VIP

Yea I did, I was asked if I had any experience leading a team so I mentioned how I managed my own team here and had the final say on adding people to the team or kicking them off the team and they liked it. Didn't get the job because I didn't have the availability they needed but my next job I told them the same thing and got the job

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Salem

Salem VIP

Not yet but if it works I might just need to do it since nobody wants to hire me rn.

9. Anna

Anna before we fade VIP

I used it on my resume for my current job that I had too and they looked upon it favourably. Being able to lead a team and also work under the guidance of someone else was something required of my job and it was something they noted was a stand out. Not only does it look good as you are volunteering your time to help out a community but the experience you get as well is extremely helpful and is looked upon as such. Being able to communicate to a large group of people from all over the world of varying ages can actually look very appealing to some employers especially in a customer service job or something similar. So I personally would totally recommend at least mentioning it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Lemon

Lemon ideal male moderator VIP Silver

Nope.

Also I feel like this thread is better suited in OTD.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ravin

Ravin Determination VIP

Yes I have. As a manager now I look at any form of leadership as a positive even in a game. It shows passion and drive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Alpha Wolfy

Alpha Wolfy Nocturnal VIP

I put it under volunteer leadership and may put it under a job application in the future. Pretty good to see some experience that shows you are a capable and passionate person, even though the video game part may get some weird glances. :p

13. neutral

neutral VIP

Nope. Doesn't fit into my career goals.

But at the same time, I've left off legitimate jobs that I've worked 5+ years off because it isn't related to my current field.

14. Solar

Solar El Dorado VIP

I will probably put it in my resume if the job description is about handling teams and people.

15. Chai

Chai returned; VIP

If you're proud of what you do, why not?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Creative Creative x 2
  16. Emtech2

Emtech2 The worst ones always live VIP Silver Emerald

I haven't nor will/would I. I have enough shit under volunteer and I don't want to accidentally get hired as a unpaid intern.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. Zikeji

Zikeji Repoleved VIP Emerald

While I haven't put this on my resume, as it doesn't apply and I already have no space on my resume, I have used it as a professional reference before.

18. IAmRelapse

IAmRelapse Active Member

Question for those who actually used it on their resume:
    Where in your resume did you put it and what definition did you add on it?

19. Chastity4lyfe

Chastity4lyfe *Eye roll* VIP Silver

I know this has gotten plenty of comments thus far, but I absolutely have. My career field is dependent on volunteer experience, whether in person or online - and you learn a certain set of skills from each area of volunteering.

With a community as large as ours, communication skills are very important, so I focus heavily on that in interviews.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

I mean I'm young, so if I ever do a interview and they ask about previous experience about team building and leadership, I'd probably tell them about my 4-H All Star experience. http://4-hhistorypreservation.com/History/M-C-P/

I can understand telling them about being a mod on a gaming community on the Internet, but 4-H would be much more commendable. In 4-H you would have social skills, speaking skills, you learn how to get along despite personal issues.