Combining Teenroom and dolls into one map.

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Rambo, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Rambo

Rambo Shoot first, ask later. VIP

I was thinking some how some way we can incorporate teenroom with dolls. They are both similar themed maps. Maybe have teleporters or something. Idk I might be crazy or something.

Anyone have ideas for this?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. RhazhBash

RhazhBash Professional Button Presser VIP

Maybe we could have an entire house as a map and teenroom could be the older brothers room with dolls as the younger sisters room. Both maps would be shrunk to be regular sized rooms.

3. shadowdragoon66

shadowdragoon66 hic sunt draconis VIP

Maybe even throw in Rat Kitchen as well so that there is a kitchen area.

4. Red

Red Harbinger of Arceus VIP

so we shrink all 3 maps and it would be like:
    Teenroom
    CorridorCorridor Ratkitchen
    Dolls

5. @pages already has a lot on his plate right now but if he can do it +1

6. Chii

Chii Seriously a Baka VIP

would that be like...way to big? i mean i love the idea of it but wouldnt it be to big for the server to handle?

7. Killamarshall

Killamarshall Hmm... interesting.. Smite anyone?? VIP

OOOH shrink down mouse house's living room for a living room area!!!

8. stormcreator

stormcreator I am The Flying Wombat. Kythol is the bae. <3 VIP

This would be great for some type of RP server. Waaaayyyy to big for ttt.

9. Red

thats why we shrink them and put them together! we have to make some of the holes bigger though, or remove them completely as the other rooms have their own platforms

10. Yawn.

Yawn. Previously known as Kindle, Books, Pages.

Well, let's look at both sides of the coin here.

Mash them all together as is: Simply wouldn't work. When considering something like this, you have to think about the engine limitations, and player limitations. As far as engine limitations, we have a couple issues here. Most obviously, Source only has a map size of so-big; and mashing these massive maps together is an easy way to hit those limits. It's not just about how big the room is from wall to wall either, but the entities and detail brushes inside the map can be another issue. Most likely we wouldn't hit these engine limits, or it'd be very easy to trim the map down just under the limit. That's not the problem here though. These engine limits aren't set, because Source can't handle it or Valve is a big meanie. These limits are set, because players with beast computers won't even be-able to run the game when a map bypasses those numbers. Now when we look at our player base, there are members with low-power laptops running Windows XP. We need the map to run at 30-60FPS for EVERYONE, which just isn't possible when we hit these kinds of numbers. Not to mention the large spaces mean more visleafs, which decrease their FPs ten-fold when compared to room based maps.

Downscale them as if the player is full-sized, and then mash them together: The map would be too small. At that point, we'd be looking at a single one floor house which would be crowded for six people, let alone thirty six. The only house-type setting that works is a full sized mansion, and at that point we'd be better off starting our own mansion from scratch than dealing with mashing all of the mistakes from all of the different mappers together into one clusterfuck.

tl~dr: 10+ for creativity, but unless I misunderstood this thread, it's not going to happen in Source.

11. Red

I think we should downscale them, but not to the point where the player is fullsized. Maybe downscale them enough so that they fit within the size limits of dolls.