Ban the "...is a terrorist!" Keybind

Discussion in 'Rules and Protocol' started by Dick Buttermuffin, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Read Carefully Before Commenting

This is about the keybind that says "...is a terrorist!" NOT the keybind that says "...is a traitor!"

The keybind itself adds absolutely nothing to the game because it is completely useless information. It's only purpose is to try to get new players or players who may not be paying attention to RDM. It's terrible for the server because it either A. Gets new players slayed for something stupid, causing them to get upset and leave or B. Causes experienced players to kill someone on accident when they don't have time to fully interpret what is being said (like when they're in the middle of a firefight) and causes a lot of anger and toxicity within the server.

I propose that this keybind be interpreted as chat spam and, when used, causes the player to be gagged just as they would be if they were to spam chat with any other type of nonsense.

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rice

Rice stay golden. VIP

I agree it can cause confusion, but I don't think its right or even a smart way to ban a phrase like that.

3. Alpha Wolfy

Alpha Wolfy Nocturnal VIP

Terrorist doesn't exactly mean Traitor.

4. shadowdragoon66

shadowdragoon66 hic sunt draconis VIP

I am curious as to what you put to get GMod to put your cursor target in the chat message. Highwon once told me, but I forgot.

5. DocFox

DocFox The Best Is Yet To Come VIP Silver Emerald

Bad players will learn to pay attention to proper call outs.

"If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Why can't you? If it contributes no relevant information to anyone and its sole purpose is to trick people into RDMing, how could you possibly want to continue to allow that? As I said, it can only negatively impact the server by making players who are new to the server or new to TTT feel stupid and make them want to leave.

I just legitimately want to know why you would want to keep a keybind that is only used to troll people. All it is is an advanced form of RDM. If we consider it traitorous and/or punish players who do other trollish things (damaging with props, traitor-baiting, destroying the tester), why do we allow this?

It's a legitimate question. Why do you want to continue to allow this? Do you use it yourself and find it funny? Do you think it doesn't trick people into RDMing and is harmless?

7. DocFox

How are people going to get better as players if they do not experience little speed bumps along the way? This is something that doesn't occur often enough to pose a problem and it also creates a situation where people will learn the importance of attention to detail.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. In that case I guess we just fundamentally disagree. I call not realizing that you can be KOS'd for not IDing a body a speed bump. I call killing on suspicion a speed bump. I don't call using a keybind intentionally designed to deceive and ruin other people's experiences a "speed bump," I call it trolling.

But it's your opinion and that's okay. I just wanted to see how people felt about this.

9. Red

Red Harbinger of Arceus VIP

im okay with ...is a Terrorist! But I am not okay with ...is a Triator! or ...is a Trator! coz your mind actually skims through each individual letter when you're focusing on the game. Instead, it just gets the meaning of the word closest to it, and applies it so you don't really notice the misspelling. And then afterwards the guy claims "Hurr hurr nub i sad triator not traitor hurr lern 2 english bruh" and you get slain coz stuff

10. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

+1

11. Sorry if I get this wrong but,
    Wouldn't this fall into the category of trolling, which the server has zero tolerance for, which also carries punishments..?

12. ZeRo

ZeRo :sneaky: Banned VIP Silver

What you're asking about is loophole trolling, which is certainly not allowed. However, regular players also have to use some form of intellect when they play on the servers and not just act on blind instinct the moment they see something in chat that has a 'T' in front of it at the end of a sentence. I wouldn't consider this situation to be loophole trolling considering you rarely get players who kill someone for saying that the player is a terrorist (although you will get the occasional troll who does it for fun).

13. DocFox

I would treat this as a KOS based on the fact that some people may not actually have binds and are typing so fast that it just comes out like that; the second is even phonetically the same as traitor. I feel that the staff should be treating it the same, as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. paper

paper legends never die VIP Silver

For obvious reasons.

15. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

This phrase can mean "so and so is innocent" Because the terrorists are the good guys and the traitors are counter terrorists... But really? Banning a phrase? -1

16. NeverEnding

NeverEnding It's Never going to end. Trust me on this. VIP

There is always a reason to cause a confusion,

Let's just say a T buddy helped to flood the chat so that nobody can see anything,
    Unless some lucky terrorist managed to scroll up and find the KOS, and called it out on mic which hopefully somebody will listen to.

Likewise I know it's micspam if you are talking nonsense, but That's a good way my T buddy can help to cause a confusion.

17. I do agree, the key-bind is just a useless bind, but not worth banning. Obviously, the game is "Trouble inTERRORIST Town. There is also an F1 menu which teaches you about the game, if you are new. It would also be stupid to get someone banned for saying a phrase that does not give any KOS meaning. It's also a loophole, I agree with Guilty, but thats against the rules, so don't worry, the trolls will be banned. For the reasons above, -1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.