SGM Aussie and Asian Players

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Mr. Disco, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

So I was thinking, how many Australians and Asians actually play here?

I was wondering because I was thinking maybe in a year or two we should get a SEA (South East Asia) server. South Asia would improve the ping of both the Asians who play here, and the Australians .

2. Jaysu

Jaysu BAMF VIP

rice ftw

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Wex

Wex The enemy of art is the absence of limitations VIP Bronze

Gonna have to disagree with this one. I can't speak for everyone, but I live in Asia and the only reason I play on US servers is because it eliminates the language barrier that people like myself are dealing with. It's the only reason I've stopped playing CSGO ever since I moved here.

The only way this will work is if there's a guarantee that the majority of the players will speak English, which I highly doubt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Noctorious

Noctorious Your Best Nightmare VIP Emerald

5. Anna

Anna before we fade VIP

Although I live in Australia and I would love to be able to play on a server with ping less than 100 for the first time in my life, I am going to have to say no. Wex brings up a very very valid point and I think that is the most important one of all in this case.

Setting up an EU server was generally extremely easy because they EU has two major primary languages, English being one of them that is universally spoken by almost all as it is taught at a young age. Although English is also taught to many in the Asia Region, it is not necessarily the Secondary Language of choice among many which would cause, in my opinion, a huge problem on the servers with enforcing the "English Only" rule. Moderating it would thus becoming a harder job.

I am sure if this were to be implemented we would also need to discuss and think of a possible group of Admin/s and Moderators to take care of it much like we did with EU, simply because timezones would not necessarily allow for the majority of the staff team to be around when the servers are at it's peak. In this case, the servers would be at peak playing times around the US night time. Of course this could lead into the Night and EU teams possibly taking care of these servers, but we would need to expand on the team then as there is already too many servers between such a small group of people that we would nee more. Would that work out? I don't really think so. Splitting up the staff team more or opening more slots doesn't seem like the most viable options for this case.

On the upper hand, we bring it more people which is great, expanding our player base is not a bad thing. We also accommodate to the people in those regions that are already apart of the community which is a great thing to do in my opinion. However I don't think the pros out weigh the cons in this case, nor do I think that the way to go about and implement this will be as smooth as EU was.

Anways, I'm sure I could come up with a few more things but I just woke up and am brain dead :woot: Overall however, I am leaning more to be against this idea than I am for it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Pacifist

Pacifist Cynically Insane VIP Bronze

I understand the language problem being a serious one. On the other hand, could it hurt to simply have a purely Australian server? I am not taking sides in this because he isn't TECHNICALLY suggesting anything. What quit is trying to figure out is if there are enough Australian players for it to be warranted.

oh yeah i'm american through and through btw

7. Mr. Disco

Mr. Disco Jeff Lynne is a musical genius. VIP

Yeah what?? I'm not really suggesting anything, I'm just getting an idea of the current ethnic population. The EU server was a great idea! In in Europe they speak like 20 different languages that I can name, because there's so many countries. Same in Asia.. But we all manage to speak English, or most of them. There's a few non-English speakers every now and then. "In a year or two" we should get one.

It's a discussion, I'm just asking who is who. When I suggested the European server I had a general idea that we had a shit ton of British people, and already people from Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Switzerland, and France.

There's a lot of things, staffing, sure, I was thinking it should come in the future, but not the near future.

Not saying this is a source, but here http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/asian_languages.htm

A lot of South East Asia countries pick English as their primary secondary language.

But anyway not really an argument, not suggesting anything, just asking if you are Asian or Australian

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anna

Anna before we fade VIP

You did suggest tho ??? h e l p

In all seriousness though, I know this isn't one for the immediate future, I was merely stating my opinion and opening up the discussion for people to put more insight :D Bringing out all thoughts and ideas now make for interesting discussions.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a server closer to home but there are somethings that would hinder plans. Best to get them all on the table now imo.

(y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hyper ✿

Hyper ✿ peace lata VIP Bronze

10. DrkSephy

DrkSephy VIP Bronze

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Teapot

Teapot BSoD VIP

I'm Asian here as well. If you want to get technical, I am Filipino who was born there and moved here when I was three.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mr Butters

Mr Butters For a few to be immortal, many must die. VIP

Why tag me? I find that racist.

Don't invite Aussies to the community, have you met me ? 90% of Australia is bogan, 10x worse than I ever was, you think I was a horrid human, trust me you don't want more of me.

Also really i'm the only Aussie that belongs here ~originalaussie~

EDIT: SEA - Oceania is the worst servers btw, ever tried to play a game of dota with a bunch of SEA people let me give you a demonstration of what they do.

Asian guy: "I lag I lag"

Me: Thats cause this is AU servers bud

Asian guy: "fucker you, aussie piece of shit"

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1